Giveaway and Guest Post: Seven Family Activities Around the Christmas Tree
It's a delight to have my friend Glenys Nellist back to my blog! Glenys has a gift in making God's promises personal for every child. She does it this time through love letters from God to your child around the Christmas story. To see just how she does it, watch here. And to register for a FREE COPY of her new book, which is sure to be a new family tradition at your house, enter via the form below on the homepage or by clicking here! (See contest details below.)
In the spirit of her Christmas book (recommended ages preschool-8), Glenys is passing along seven family activities to do around the Christmas tree. Her background as a Christian educator and grandmother is apparent as she encourages these memorable family moments. She writes:
There’s simply no better time than Christmas to make memories and establish family traditions with our children. Set aside some time each night to gather around the Christmas tree and enjoy these activities together!
2. Bethlehem’s Baby Boy: Download your free color-a-story sheet of Bethlehem's Baby Boy, from the first Love Letters from God book. Read the story, then color it in.
3. Light of The World: Turn off all of the lights in the room except the lights on the Christmas tree. Sit quietly for a few minutes as you think and talk about how Jesus is the light of the world.
4. Carol Sing: Have everyone choose their favorite carol and sing the first verse together or listen to it.
5. Candy Canes: Have each family member thread white and red beads alternately onto pipe cleaners and then bend them into the shape of a candy cane to hang on the tree. (J is for Jesus!)
6. DIY Nativity: Download this free nativity scene and cut out figures from Christmas Love Letters from God. Have fun creating your own special scene!
7. Favorite Memories: Take turns sharing your favorite memories of the year. Now write (or draw) your own letter to God, thanking God for those times. Put each in its own envelope and save them. Next year, open and read them around the tree.
Good luck winning her book! A winner will be chosen one week from today on Monday, December 12th. All entrants must have a US street address (no PO boxes) for shipping purposes, please. Watch for bonus entry options! Enter via the form below on the homepage or by clicking here. Disclaimer: I was given a free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Also, don't miss the upcoming episode of my new parenting series, Chaos to Calm, on "The Chaos of Holiday Hecticness!" It will air on Tuesday, December 13th. Subscribe by email to my blog on the upper righthand side of my homepage to have episodes sent right to your inbox! Watch the most recent episode on bullying, grief, and anxiety in children here.